- Grape:Cabernet Sauvignon
- Home:Western Cape / South Africa
- Style:Full-bodied / Rich / Juicy
- Taste:Blackcurrant / Plums / Hint of Oak
- Food:Ribs / Steak / Barbecue
- Awards:Not yet!
- Lifestyle:2018 vintage: vegan
- Night In:Film: The Great Gatsby / TV: King Gary / Music: Late Night Feelings
Cabernet Sauvignon is often referred to as the “King of Red Grapes” and we think it deserves its royal status.
Born of its two French parents Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc, the grape thrives in South Africa as well as France – this one from South Africa’s Western Cape packs a proper punch with full-bodied, rich, juicy flavours.
This wine is full of flavour – tons of blackcurrants and dark fruits with a bit of oak. In its South African home it is enjoyed with a classic braai. Traditionally a wood fired barbecue (no charcoal here!) loaded with red meat, this is a serious business and should come with a word of warning – if you are invited to an 8pm braai the meat usually goes on about midnight, so get your (responsible) drinking head on.
Geek fact: Cabernet Sauvignon pops up in some of the world’s most expensive wines, including top Bordeaux, cult Californians and super-duper Tuscans.