- Home:Rias Baixas / Spain
- Style:Crisp / Fresh / Aromatic
- Taste:Tropical Fruit / Peach / Grapefruit
- Food:Seafood / Fish / Salads
- Awards:2017 vintage: International Wine Challenge Silver Medal and IWSC Silver Medal / 2016 vintage: International Wine Challenge – Commended / 2015 vintage: International Wine Challenge - Bronze
- Lifestyle:2018 vintage: vegan; 2017 vintage: not vegetarian/vegan
This one is a real favourite at Most Wanted HQ, but probably isn’t one you’ll recognise from the supermarket. Because of the comparatively small areas of production and because the vines are low yielding, Albariño is a lesser-known white that can sometime be pretty pricey.
Although it’s also grown in Portugal, USA and Australia, it’s the Rías Baixas region in Galicia, North Western Spain that is most closely associated with this thick-skinned, storm-loving grape.
And that’s where we get ours from. It still has that classic peachy, grapefruit flavour, but is a little bit rounder and richer than some others, meaning it’s one of the most versatile wines for pairing with food.
Fish, salad or even spicy Indian and Asian food – it all works!
Geek Fact: Galicia gets more annual rain than Manchester. That’s a good thing.