- Home:Rias Baixas / Spain
- Style:Crisp / Fresh / Aromatic
- Taste:Tropical Fruit / Peach / Grapefruit
- Food:Seafood / Fish / Salads
- Awards:2018 vintage: Decanter Silver Medal. 2017 vintage: International Wine Challenge Silver Medal and IWSC Silver Medal
- Lifestyle:2018 vintage: vegan; 2017 vintage: not vegetarian/vegan
- Night In:Film: The Beach / TV: The Good Place / Song: The River
Albariño is a real favourite at Most Wanted HQ but this little grape may not be on your radar thanks to a relatively small area of production and low yields (which also can make it a bit pricey).
Although it’s also grown in Portugal, USA and Australia, it’s the Rías Baixas region in Galicia, north-western Spain that champions this thick-skinned, storm-loving grape.
And that’s where we get ours from. It still has that classic peachy, grapefruit flavour, but is a little bit rounder and richer than some others, meaning it’s one of the most versatile wines for pairing with food. Fish, salad or even spicy Indian and Asian food – it all works!
Geek Fact: Galicia gets more annual rain than Manchester. That’s a good thing.