- Home:Valle Central / Chile
- Style:Ripe / Medium bodied / Mellow
- Taste:Dark fruit / Blackberries / Juicy
- Food:BBQ / Shepherds Pie / Tomato-based dishes
- Awards:2019 vintage: International Wine Challenge Silver medal
- Lifestyle:2019 vintage: vegan
- Night In:Film: Blue Velvet / TV: Queer Eye / Song: You and Me Song
Much-loved for it’s ripe fruit flavours and smooth texture, Merlot is a bit of a hero in the grape world, producing as many top class wines as it does easy-drinking styles.
The grape originates from the Bordeaux region where it’s often blended with Cabernet Sauvignon. More recently Chile has become a hotspot for Merlot. The warm, sunny climate of the Central Valley produces ripe, juicy styles, such as ours, which go down a storm with a meat or veggie pie.
Geek Fact: The name Merlot is thought to derive from the French word for blackbird, merle, thanks to the grape and the wine’s dark colour.